2017 has been a big year for women’s sport and it’s set to get even bigger.


This week the Women’s Cricket World Cup starts right here in the UK, the Women’s European Football Championships kick off in July and August sees the Women’s Rugby World Cup head to Ireland and the Netherlands host the Women’s Hockey Championship. We don’t know about you, but we’re pretty excited about a summer of women’s sport!

As well as the eagerly anticipated Women’s Cricket World Cup, today also marks the start of Women’s Sport Week, a campaign launched by Women in Sport, the leading charity dedicated to transforming sport for the benefit of every woman and girl in the UK. Tracey Crouch, Minister for Sport, said:

“We want more women and girls to get involved in sport and enjoy the huge benefits that being active brings to their lives. Women’s Sport Week is a fantastic campaign that encourages more women to try out a new sport or physical activity and celebrates the amazing achievements of our female athletes, coaches and volunteers.”

We couldn’t agree more. At Venture Abroad, we are proud to be advocates for encouraging more girls to take up sports and live a healthy and active lifestyle.

Statistics released by Sport England in March 2016 showed that just over 31% of women aged 16 and over participate in sport at least once a week. Almost a third of women in this country being involved in sport seems very encouraging, and it is, but it still lacks behind the percentage of men participating in sports once a week, which was reported to be just over 40%.

Why? Could it be due to the fact that women’s sport makes up just 7% of all sports media coverage in the UK? Perhaps, but whatever the reason, it’s fantastic to see campaigns such as Women’s Sport Week and This Girl Can making a difference and encouraging more and more women to get active (and reminding us what awesome warriors we are!).

How active are Venture Abroad/Rayburn Tours?

We thought we’d kick start this week by taking a poll in the office. With 61 women working for Venture Abroad and our parent company, Rayburn Tours, we wanted to see how many participate in sport or physical activity at least once a week – and the results were phenomenal!

Here come the girls… Rayburn Tours

75% of women who work at Rayburn Tours/Venture Abroad participate in sport or physical activity at least once a week – well above the national average. 64% of those were participating in traditional sports from football and netball to cycling and swimming, whilst the remaining 36% go to the gym or regular fitness classes. Turns out we’re a pretty active bunch (not bad for office folk)! Well done ladies and keep up the good work!

So this week we’ll be showing our support for #WSW2017 in a number of ways, from daily sports challenges to interviews with women who are passionate about sport. Keep an eye on our Twitter feed @ventureabroad and Facebook page for all the updates!

If you’d like to find out more about Women’s Sport Week and the great work they’re doing, head over to their website