An insight to visiting Belgium with 3rd Fife Scout Group’s leader Laura Mills
It has been a fantastic summer in Belgium so we have asked one of the leaders out there this year some questions about their experience.
- Why did you decide to go to Belgium?Our scout group is the only group attached to the Royal British Legion. Therefore going to Belgium was a big deal for us and sentimental.
- What was your highlight of the tour?Loved Oceade the water park it was great fun. Ypres in general was good, especially going to all of the cemeteries and taking part in the Last Post Ceremony.
- What was your favourite activity out in Belgium and why? Can either be at De Kluis or not.We didn’t take part in any really at the centre, but I would say Oceade the waterpark, easy to get to on train and the kids didn’t get bored once the whole time we were there.
- Sum up your summer in 3 words.Hot, fun and well organised!
- Have you been to Belgium before as a scout group? Would you go back again?No we haven’t been before, would definitely go again and we would stay at De Kluis again.
- Did you experience any language barriers? If so, how did you overcome them?We didn’t, they spoke really good English.
- What did you like about staying at De Kluis?Lovely location and central, not far to travel anywhere and not far from the airport either.
- What did you think to the food? Did you try any Belgian cuisine?We did self-catering at the centre but we did go to a guest house in Ypres one night, everyone seemed to enjoy that. The scouts definitely enjoyed the Belgian fries and ice cream. We also went to choco-story, the scouts enjoyed lots of samples of chocolate and also took lots home with them.
- What made you decide to book with Venture Abroad rather than organising the tour yourself?Previous experience, we have been twice to Disney. The service has always been great.
- What destination takes your fancy next?Kandersteg, but not for a few years yet. They always have a mini permanent jamboree and I have heard lots of good things about it.